Friday 18 April 2008

The Old Mill at the Pitchens in Wroughton

The water wheel - an integral part of the Old Mill (now a private residence)

This idyllic spot tucked away in the Pitchens is the site of an Old Mill


The grinding stone that belonged to the old mill

I had been meaning to spend some time wandering around Wroughton for quite a while now. Within walking distance of Old Town, I pass through frequently on my way out to Avebury. Yesterday was my day off, the sun was shining so I met up with a friend who lives in Wroughton (thanks for the delicious potato and leek soup Elaine) and I have Elaine to thank for showing me just what I have been missing by not 'discovering' Wroughton sooner.
The older name for the village is Ellandune and legend has it that the "Dun of Ella" was a Celtic hill fort where the church now stands (dun is a term for Iron Age ring fort). There is some evidence of human occupation dating back to the Neolithic period though the evidence of a greater significance dates from the Roman period. Wroughton has always been deeply rooted in farming and agriculture and the old mill (above) was one of many granary mills that once existed in the area.