Tuesday 12 February 2008

Moredon Tree Collection (and cheese on toast)

The first hint of cherry blossom
Having taken a couple of days off work, I wanted to enjoy the early spring sunshine without going too far afield. Heading in the opposite direction to my usual walks, I set off for what I thought would be a 'town' walk. I was in for a very pleasant surprise; after exploring the grounds of St Mary's Church and the old Rodbourne village, I took a walk along the green belt of land that runs parallel with Moredon. A really lovely, unsung place to walk - the river Ray or Hreod Burna running through this peaceful place - no doubt much busier at weekends but on this beautiful Tuesday in February, I had it all to myself.

The Moredon Tree Collection - found by a sheer fluke, those feet doing their own thing again.

This wonderful pitted sarsen stone stands at the entrance of the Manor Garden Centre (one end of the Moredon Tree Collection walk). I wandered in here for some lunch and had the biggest door-step portion of cheese on toast - EVER! Enormous servings of everything with delicious old fashioned unsliced bread. Superb!!