Saturday 2 February 2008

The Swindon Stone and Swindon Connection


The number 49 trans-Wilts bus arriving outside the Red Lion in Avebury en route to Swindon. I was very muddy and quite cold when I took this picture so have to admit to being glad to climb aboard and clamber upstairs to watch the Wiltshire landscape drift by.

Although this is probably the only post I will make on Avebury to 'Hidden Swindon' (I have taken blogger's licence) I will be back soon on the 49 to wander about this mystical landscape which is just a half an hour's bus ride from the Swindon.


The Swindon Stone - so called because it stands very close to the Swindon road
(also known as the Diamond Stone)
(This picture is for PW)

I am deliberately not going to say very much about the wonderful World Heritage Site of Avebury and its surrounding landscape as much is written and photographed on other web-sites. Today it was quite chilly but so peaceful to arrive early ahead of the weekend visitors - there is restricted access to part of the henge as erosion work has just been completed with renewal of the chalk paths. I head out to Waden Hill and the Whitehorse Trail to return back to Avebury along the Ridgeway and Green Street (also known as Hare Street).

For more information on Avebury go to http://www.avebury-web.co.uk/